It’s the night we’ve all been waiting for — the 2020 Academy Awards! Now that the most prestigious award show of the year has come to an end, Wonderwall.com is diving into the fashion. The Oscars are a night to bring your fashion A-game. So that’s why we were so dismayed to see Scarlett Johansson’s uninspiring silver pick. Her silver Oscar de la Renta number was our least favorite look of the night.
1. Upon closer inspection, Scarlett Johansson’s silver Oscar de la Renta frock featured a sheer netted corset with strategically placed silver fringe and random dangling threads that gave the frock a messy feel.
2. Margot Robbie brought the glamour at the 2020 Oscars in this vintage Chanel number. The navy blue frock — which actually hailed from the ’90s — featured a strapless silhouette and standalone cuff sleeves with bow details and their own trains.
3. The award for the most interesting silhouette on the Oscar carpet? That definitely goes to Saoirse Ronan, who stood out in this intricate Gucci number. We loved the multicolored facet of the frock, and everything about that structured silhouette — from the plunging neckline to the soft golden ruffled layer that served as sort of a peplum detail and the full periwinkle skirt.
4. Billie Eilish brought her usual funky style to the Academy Awards red carpet. And though we love how she always stays true to her brand, we just couldn’t get behind this baggy Chanel white suit.
5. Florence Pugh has had some polarizing picks this award season, so we weren’t shocked she selected this funky frock on the big night. Though we appreciated the bold teal shade, we weren’t crazy about the Louis Vuitton frock’s tiered ruffles and high-low hemline. The matching overly strappy heels didn’t help matters, nor did the odd jewelry choices.
6. A high-low hemline has to be pretty special to score a hit in our book — so it’s not surprise that Penelope Cruz’s Chanel number made the miss list this year. We felt like we’d seen the star in this type of frock many times before and the halter-style neckline paired with a big floral detail felt very dated.
7. Renee Zellweger rocked this simple, yet stunning asymmetrical white design on Oscar night. We were surprised by her choice of this icy white Armani Prive column gown — but appreciated the departure from her mainly black award season wardrobe.
8. A white gown that missed the mark? Salma Hayek’s uninspiring Gucci gown. Though we liked the way it featured one sparkly strap, the silhouette of the frock failed to impress. Despite the dress being a miss, Salma did add some interesting jewels on the big night.
9. We were expecting a lot from Timothee Chalamet in the fashion department. So the star underwhelmed when he arrived in this navy Prada ensemble, which essentially looked like trousers and a bomber jacket. But there was one interesting element of his look — that brooch.
10. Though we appreciated the vibrant red shade, Kaitlyn Dever’s Louis Vuitton gown felt matronly for the young star. And considering some of the stellar fashion choices she’s made this award season, this one felt like an odd choice the biggest event of the year.